Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Few Font Memories

Throughout my life there have been only a few men who have had a profound influence on me. First to mind is my father who has always been, and continues to be, a steady, stabilizing presence as I navigate the waters of childhood, adolescence, adulthood and parenthood.

My 11th grade Humanities teacher, Mr. Michaud, was a life-loving free spirit who somehow managed to get hundreds of self-centered, hormonal teenagers to share his passion for Federico Fellini films, e.e. cummings poetry and Saul Bellow stories. Every field trip was an adventure; every class was an exercise in absorbing the emotion, beauty and spiritual essence of the world around us. Long before Robin Williams starred in “Dead Poets Society”, Mr. Michaud was urging his East Brunswick High School students to “Seize the Day.” Years later, I would remember Mr. Michaud on my wedding day as a friend read my favorite e.e. cummings poem during the service.

Certainly my husband has been the most influential man in my life. What began as a work relationship blossomed into friendship and then love. He has been my biggest cheerleader throughout our 16 years of marriage, the voice of reason when I fly off the handle, the ever-patient father of my children, my partner in crime and the person who believed in my writing even when I didn’t believe in it myself.
This brings me to the next influential man in my life: My soon-to-be-ex-boss Matt Gill. When my predecessor, Cathy Harrington, chose to retire from writing this column, it was my friend Julianne who pushed me to call and ask for the position. But it was Matt who gave me the job, opening the door and allowing me to find my voice as a writer.

I’m sure I sounded a lot more confident than I felt as we sat down outside the South Shore Natural Science Center for my “job interview”. I was picking my kids up from camp and Matt was heading down to this office in Marshfield. Given that this was my first interview in years, I prepared a resume and brought several writing examples from my blog. I must have said or done something right, because Matt gave me the job and asked me to have my column in within a week.

That was nearly three years and 147 columns ago (but who’s counting?) I have to give Matt credit for allowing me complete creative freedom over my topics. Whether I wrote about pre-sliced cheese, smug Christmas letters, talking to your child about 9/11 or recipes for spam and bean pie, Matt’s feedback has always been overwhelmingly positive. Headlines have never been my strong suit, so I’ve left that particular chore up to him, which yielded such beauties as “Wii are enjoying our new video game system” and (my personal favorite) “My Undying Love for Zombies”.
While I appreciate feedback from family and friends, I look forward each week to Matt’s opinion. There’s something about being critiqued by a fellow writer that carries more weight than anyone else. And I’m flattered that Matt sought my opinion on his articles and columns as well.

Sadly, this will be the final column that Matt critiques as he leaves his position at The Mariner and turns his creative talents to corporate writing. I’ll miss the headlines, the comments, the bad puns and the humorous emails we’ve shared. Though he’ll no longer be my boss, I’m glad that he’ll still continue to be my friend.

Good luck Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment