Thursday, January 1, 2009

Too Much TV? - 9/10/08

I recently filled my gas tank at the Gulf station on Rt. 139 in Pembroke and discovered something disturbing (other than the price of gas): Each pump had a built-in video screen broadcasting a variety of news, sports and entertainment. My first reaction was horror. Televisions at the gas pump? Are we so video-dependent that we can’t even pump our gas without being electronically stimulated?

My second reaction was, “Cool! Something to watch other than the numbers on the pump.”

Don’t get me wrong; I am a card-carrying member of the television generation. My childhood was spent in front of endless re-runs of Gilligan’s Island, The Brady Bunch and H.R. Pufnstuf. I’ll be the first to admit that I watched way too much television growing up, and continue to watch way too much as an adult. I actually contemplated a TV-free summer for my family, until I realized that “Project Runway” was starting their new season in July. So yes, television has been and continues to be an integral part of my life. But c’mon, there should be limits.

After my experience at the gas pump, I started thinking about all the places I had seen video screens lately. Of course most of my friends have DVD players in their cars (yes, I do too.) There is a large video screen by the deli counter in Shaw’s, broadcasting helpful food tips. There are video screens at the checkout lines as well. Many medical professionals have televisions in their waiting rooms. Ditto for nail salons (although they always seemed to be tuned to golf for some inexplicable reason). The hotel I frequent in Chicago has a video screen broadcasting CNN in the elevator. No more painful eye contact with fellow passengers, just 20 floors of Wolf Blitzer and friends.

Are we further isolating ourselves from each other by eliminating the need to make conversation in common areas like the doctor’s office or the food store? Are we doing a disservice to ourselves by not reading more books or magazines while we are waiting to see our physician? Or is the answer more television? Think of how much easier a mammogram or prostate exam would be if you had HGTV or ESPN to distract you?

While I doubt I could give up television altogether, I do think that the old adage “everything in moderation” is the key. Those of you who saw the film “Wall-E” this summer might remember the humans of the future, overweight and slumped in their
La-Z-Boy recliners, communicating with each other through video screens positioned six inches from their noses. Is this our future?

Perhaps I need a television intervention. I can just see myself surrounded by family and friends. “Laura, we want you to know that we care about you, but you just can’t raise a family and watch ‘Law & Order’ 24-hours a day. Please, just hand over the remote. It’s for your own good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment