Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Black Thumb - 7/30/08

I confess: I’m horticulturally challenged. A “black thumb” doesn’t begin to describe my ineptitude when it comes to gardening. So far, the only things I’ve been able to keep alive are my children. Luckily they don’t require weeding or watering.

When my husband and I purchased our home in Hanover, the perennial beds surrounding our property delighted us. My delight quickly turned to horror when I realized that I would be the one trying to maintain these plantings. Each spring I play the is-this-a-weed-or-is-this-a-flower guessing game. (Typically, I guess wrong. This year I nearly pulled out all our coneflowers.) After nine years, I’m convinced that the previous owners drive by and just shake their heads in disgust at what passes for landscaping in our yard.

This being said, I now have a much deeper appreciation for those unsung heroes who lovingly maintain the floral beds on the traffic islands throughout our town. Unlike other towns, there are no plaques crediting their efforts. Once in a while I’ll see someone pulling weeds or dragging a hose across the road, but generally these folks work their magic undetected, like garden ninjas. Who are these citizens who dedicate their time so that everyone can enjoy their efforts? And whose idea was this? Do flowers improve traffic safety? Are we more likely to come to a full stop if we have something pretty to look at?

A friend of mine cultivates an island at the intersection of Rt. 53 and Water Street in Pembroke, a high traffic area. While working on her island, she was approached by a police officer. Thinking she was about to be praised for her efforts she was quite surprised to hear him say, “While I applaud your dedication to community service Miss, I have to say that what you’re doing right now is utterly foolish. You’re taking your life in your hands!” He then recommended several safety precautions, including a fluorescent orange vest. Most people limit their comments to, “Can you come to my house when you’re done?” Original. She hears that about ten times an hour.

So the next time you come to a stop in front of the library, at the end of Spring street, or any of the other lovely oases here in town, take a moment to admire the handiwork of those anonymous gardeners who make our streets just a little more beautiful. And if by chance there happens to be someone pulling weeds, roll down your window and just say thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment