Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Mid-Point of Summer? - 7/23/08

But summer just started…
While celebrating July 4th, I was surprised to hear more than one person lament "...the summer's half over!"

Technically, summer began on June 20th and ends on September 21. That would make August 6 the middle of the summer. Personally, my summer begins when my kids are out of school and ends when they return. As a child I remember Jerry Lewis’s tearful rendition of “You’ll Never Walk Alone”, the finale of his 24-hour telethon ushering in the fall.

So why is it so many people perceive July 4th as the mid-point for summer? Perhaps because the seasonal aisle at Wal-mart now stocks crayons, markers and pocket folders in place of sunscreen and insect repellent. The Lands End section of Sears now features a display of down vests. My Bed, Bath N' Beyond circular is filled with "dorm essentials". Not so subtle clues that scream, “BACK TO SCHOOL!”

Granted, we are a forward thinking nation, but for just a few weeks could we please live in the moment? These are supposed to be the lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer. Do we really need to rush it out the door? Soon enough the beaches will empty, football practice will begin and we'll be back in the routine of bus schedules, bagged lunches and homework. Can't we just enjoy ice cream, fireflies and baseball for a little while longer?

Thank you for allowing me to vent. Now excuse me while I go purchase my Halloween candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment