Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Olympics - 8/20/08

I have a love/hate relationship with the Olympics. Actually love and hate are probably a bit strong. It’s more like interest and indifference. As a child, I was raised in a sports-free environment. Both my parents were academics and had zero interest in any type of organized sports. The exception, however, was the Olympic games.

I have vivid memories of watching Mark Spitz win 7 gold medals, of Nadia Comaneci’s perfect 10. The 1980 “Miracle on Ice” with goalie Jim Craig scanning the crowd and mouthing, “Where’s my father?” still gives me chills.

As an adult, something shifted and eventually the Olympics began to bore me. They became a nuisance that pre-empted my favorite television shows. I was exasperated when the summer and winter games were split. Now I had to endure the Olympics every two years! Names like Kerri Strug and Michael Johnson were vaguely familiar, but by then the Olympics had just become background noise.

And now Beijing. Something made me plunk my kids down for the opening ceremony on 8-8-08. Perhaps it was all the hype about the pageantry. Here was a country that had hidden in shadow for years, bursting into vivid color for the entire world to see. Whatever the reason, my children and I were riveted. My 10-year-old refused to go to bed until the last athlete had entered the stadium and the torch was lit.

Now I see why my parents made the Olympics a family event. Each night is a geography lesson (Maldives? Where’s that?) My children know that gold is great but there is honor in silver and bronze as well. Watching the athletes circle the arena, faces shining with pride, my children now know that representing your country is the highest honor of all.

Michael Phelps and the men’s relay swim team taught my children that strength and determination can overcome incredible odds, and that you should NEVER talk smack about an opponent, especially before a race. (Vous comprenez Monsieur Bernard?) My children understand that not every superhero wears a mask and cape; some of them wear Speedo swimsuits.

We will continue to watch for the next four days until the torch is extinguished and the tourists return home. Heck, I might even fantasize about my own kids participating someday. Assuming, of course, that competitive Lego-building is a recognized event in 2016. We all have our dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment