Thursday, January 1, 2009

On New Year's Resolutions - 12/30/08

Not to worry, there’s still time to formulate your list of New Year’s resolutions. Each year, many of us make a list of ways to improve ourselves. January first, the beginning of the New Year, is traditionally the perfect time to implement these changes. Out with the old, in with the new, right? Let’s look at some of the more common resolutions, shall we?

Number one on the list of popular resolutions is losing weight. Perhaps it’s the overindulgence of the holiday season loaded with cookies, eggnog, rum balls and other goodies that spurs many of us to buckle down and try to lose a few pounds. However, if you think about it, winter is probably the most illogical time to lose weight. What would have happened to our Neanderthal ancestors if they had dropped ten pounds in the dead of winter? Wasn’t that additional layer of blubber necessary to keep the cave-dwellers warm, as well as providing a fat-store when food was scarce? In honor of my ancestors, I think I’ll skip that resolution this year.

Another popular resolution is to get fit. This ties directly into the aforementioned resolution of losing weight. Again, is this the most practical idea for the middle of winter? Roads are covered with snow and ice, the temperature and wind chill pierce your brain and freeze your face. Since that eliminates running and jogging, the next logical solution is to hop in your car and brave the black ice to get to the gym. Of course, you’ll never get a parking spot since the tens of thousands of other members you haven’t seen all year round will be trolling for parking too. Just the thought of it spikes my blood pressure, so I think I’ll skip this one too.

Another common goal is to get out of debt and manage money more efficiently. Both of these are admirable aspirations. Although, by the middle of January, the credit bills from the holiday season will be arriving, which might provoke a feeling of “Oh, what’s the point?” and let’s not forget those fabulous post-holiday sales (A $200 fake tree for $20? I’ll take three!) Best to focus on money management later in the winter, or better yet, wait till April 15th after the taxes are sorted out.

Then there’s the idea of quitting smoking, drinking, gambling, shopping and other addictive behaviors. These are all things that can wreak havoc on our minds and bodies, so trying to quit or reduce these behaviors is certainly worthwhile. Of course, we shouldn’t limit ourselves; let’s throw reality television into the mix. The upcoming train wreck called “True Beauty” sorely tempts me, but I think I’ll resist the allure. Best to limit myself to “Project Runway” and leave it at that.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a worthy endeavor to try and improve oneself. Each year at this time I vow that I will be more tolerant and less judgmental (and then my husband thoughtfully points out that somehow I’ve managed to achieve the opposite.) I’ve realized that if you want to make changes to your life, you don’t have to wait until January to do it. True, it was January 2008 that found me launching a blog with a gal pal, something that kick started my writing after years of dormancy. But the chance to actually get paid for writing presented itself in July. In September, a friend invited me to join her Bible study group. In November, someone convinced me to try The South Beach Diet with her. In reality, anytime is a good time to improve yourself.

But by all means; make your resolutions before the ball drops and 2009 is upon us. I promise to be tolerant and not judge you.

Have a safe and happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment