Thursday, January 28, 2010

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Christmas TV Specials

I learn something new every day, and this being the holiday season, I realize that just about everything I need to know I learned from watching Christmas television specials.

For example, Rudolph teaches us about tolerance for others. I learned that even misfits have a place in this world, whether you are a red-nosed reindeer, a Charlie-in-the-box or yes, even a dentist. Oh, and Bumbles bounce.

Buddy the Elf is right: The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear (unless my husband is the one doing the singing, in which case you want to run far, far away).

Heat Miser and Snow Miser taught me that while brothers may not like each other all the time, they are willing to compromise for their mother’s sake. I'd like my own boys to take a cue from this. If the Misers can agree to let it snow in South Town, then my boys can share their Legos.

Frosty the Snowman taught me to choose my friends wisely. Frosty might have been cute and charming, yelling "Happy Birthday" all the time, but he also got himself and the children into trouble with the local police. Plus, he knew the dangers of entering a steamy, hot greenhouse and went inside anyway. Kids, stay away from friends who make bad choices.

In “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” I learned that a doll may get you a date with the cute teacher, but a yo-yo doesn't cut it with the Burgermeister. And speaking of him... kids, remember to pick up your toys! It only took one stray toy left on the steps to ruin it for everyone in Sombertown.

Ebenezer Scrooge may have been a stingy, hard-hearted skinflint but he proved that it's never too late to make changes in your life.

The Little Drummer Boy taught me that if you don't look both ways before you cross the street, you might end up with lamb for Christmas dinner.

And speaking of the little drummer boy...is there a more bizarre musical combination than Bing Crosby and David Bowie? Oh right, Elton John and Eminem.

Ralphie, the hero of "A Christmas Story", teaches perseverance. He was unwavering in his desire for the beloved Red Rider BB Gun (despite his mother, teacher and Santa Claus all predicting that he would shoot his eye out). The film also shows that grown-ups are right most of the time...as evidenced by Ralphie's broken glasses at the end of the film. ("I shot my eye out!"). And finally, TBS teaches us that even the most treasured Christmas film can be beaten into the ground by being shown 24-hours a day every Christmas. Wouldn't we value it more if it were shown only once? Just a thought.

Charlie Brown, that follically-challenged tyke, taught me that a little love can work miracles (along with a few of Snoopy's ornaments and Linus's blanket.)

George Bailey, from It's A Wonderful Life, thought himself a failure until an angel taught him that even the most humble, small-town folk can have a life-changing impact on those around them. And of course, no man (or woman) is a failure who has friends. We also learned that it's best not to go into business with relatives. Really, whose idea was it to trust Uncle Billy with eight thousand dollars?

And finally, the most valuable lesson of all comes from The Grinch via the immortal words of Dr. Seuss: "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. "Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment