Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Christmas Dilemna: Live Versus Fake Trees

My son’s Cub Scout pack holds a fundraiser each year, which involves picking up people’s Christmas trees and hauling them away (for a nominal fee). Parents are encouraged to help, so last year I offered to make calls to residents who had used this service in the past. Two-thirds of the way down my list, I was disheartened. Many of the responses I received were, “Thanks, but we have an artificial tree this year.” Not only was the pack losing money, but it was becoming clear to me that my family was part of a shrinking minority: Those who purchase real Christmas trees.

My husband and I have always purchased a live Christmas tree (“Live” being a relative term, since it begins to die the minute you chop it down). He grew up on a farm, surrounded by acres of trees. What would Christmas be without a trek into the woods with a handy hatchet (or chainsaw), dragging home your prize behind you?

Meanwhile, growing up in suburbia, my parents decided to forgo a real tree the year our cat knocked the tree over, not once but three times. This was also the year I received a tape recorder for Christmas, which fortuitously captured one of the incidents on tape (I think I listened to my mother’s shriek over and over till New Year’s.) From that point on, it was artificial trees only in my parents’ house.

Doing a little research I discovered that the Addis Brush Company produced the first artificial Christmas tree, on the same manufacturing equipment used to make (yes, you guessed it) toilet brushes. Artificial trees have come a long way since then, but my parents’ first fake tree looked like we could clean over hundred toilets in the event our regular toilet brush went missing.

My husband has always insisted on a real tree, but maybe it’s time to face facts. Should we break down and buy a fake tree? Wouldn’t it save us money over the years? Isn’t it actually a “greener” option than killing trees each year? I knew what his response would be, but I had to throw it out there.

Yes, the fresh cut tree is more costly. A $200 artificial tree that lasts 15 years works out to be about $13 per year ($13 wouldn’t buy us a decent wreath, let alone even the most pathetic, Charlie Brown tree.) There would be no pine needles on the floor. No pinesap on my hands when I dragged the tree out the front door on New Year’s Day. No daily watering. Reduced fire hazard. (A friend’s husband is a firefighter, and when he’s not blowing out all the candles at Christmas parties, he’s talking about how quickly that tree can go up in flames). Artificial sure sounds like the way to go.

My husband pointed out that from a “green” perspective, the live trees are actually the better choice. They are farmed for just this purpose. As they grow towards maturity, they absorb carbon dioxide, helping to clean our air. Each year, my husband takes our Christmas tree from the previous season and recycles it into peanut butter bird feeders. The trees picked up by the Cub Scouts are chopped into mulch. And let’s face it, they do smell nice. Vacuuming up all those pine needles is a pain, but it leaves my vacuum smelling piney.

On the other hand, artificial trees (which come in a cardboard box) are made from metals and plastics, including PVC, which can contain lead. (85% of all artificial trees are made in China. Remember those toy recalls last year?) Though an artificial tree may last up to 15 years in your house, they last for eternity once they make it to the landfill.

So we’ll continue buying a real tree, even though we’re in the minority. No, I won’t be able to use a clicker to light my tree (like my friend with the snazzy, fake, pre-lit version), and I’ll have to be sure not to wedge it in between the fireplace and the heater. But my house will certainly smell nice. And if you’re pining for the smell of a fresh tree, be sure to stop by.

For more on the “real versus fake” debate, check out www.christmastree.org

No comments:

Post a Comment