Monday, October 3, 2011

Taking Refuge in the Library

Last week, on what turned out to be the hottest day of the summer (so far), I found myself with a few blessed hours without my children. One was working as a CIT at our town’s park n’ rec camp and the other at a friend’s house. Rather than spending my few precious hours catching up on the latest episode of “Dance Moms” or luxuriating in a pedicure chair, I chose to run errands.

My destinations included the bank, the transfer station, the pharmacy and a few other stops. In each instance I reluctantly dragged myself out of my air conditioned mini-van and trudged through the hundred degree heat to dump my garbage, pick up prescriptions and cash a check. The extreme heat and humidity were taking their toll on me. With each errand I felt more like a wet noodle and less like a human being. And then I stopped at my final destination before heading home and discovered an untapped oasis in the midst of the baking heat.

The library.

As I walked through the front door, I was immediately enveloped in an embrace of air conditioned silence. The skin on my arms, previously slick with sweat, immediately developed goose bumps. As I slid my books into the return slot, I received a smile and a warm welcome from Judy, one of the librarians who happened to be working at the Children’s Desk. As I climbed the steps to the Adult Circulation area, I congratulated myself on making this the final stop on my list of errands, rather than the first. Had I started my round of errands with the library, I might never have left.

I am a huge fan of libraries in general and Hanover’s John Curtis library in particular. Where else can you find thousands of books, movies, CD’s, magazines and even video games that you can bring home and enjoy without paying a single penny? Unless, of course, you forget to return them on time.

In my younger, carefree days, I used to buy books. Lots of books. But I’m older now and have things like a mortgage and camp payments and a million other fiscal responsibilities. So with a few exceptions, my book-buying days are behind me. Which makes the library that much more valuable to me. Whenever my kids clamor for a new book, my first response is “Let’s see if the library has it.”

I also love that my library is part of the Old Colony Library Network, which means if my library doesn’t have a particular item, it’s a safe bet that one of the other libraries will. From the convenience of my own computer I can log onto the website (www.ocln.org), search for items and put them on hold. The network will even deliver the item to my own library.

There have been times when the library hasn’t had a particular item I’m interested in. Let’s face it, not everyone is as much of a zombie enthusiast as me. When that’s the case, I just fill out a card requesting that they purchase the item I’m interested in. More often than not, the item is added to the library’s collection and I get to be the first person to take it out.

Another godsend in the summer are the library passes that enable my family to visit places like the Peabody Essex Museum, the Roger Williams Zoo, the Museum of Science and countless other area attractions for a discounted fee. Again, from the convenience of my computer I can see when passes are available and place a hold on them. Last summer my kids enjoyed the Institute of Contemporary Art for the first time and have been clamoring to go back.

Our library also hosts author talks, book signings, magic shows, animal shows and countless other events throughout the year. Currently there is a photography exhibit showcasing the work of Matt Gill, former news editor for the Hanover and Norwell Mariner (I’ve seen it, it’s fabulous!) At the end of the summer the library will host an art exhibit featuring the work of South Shore Art Teachers.
If you simply must buy books, the John Curtis library has an impressively stocked used book room which features books, videos and puzzles for both adults and children. Most books are $1 or less and the thousands of dollars raised from the book room goes right back to supporting the programs offered by the library.
With everything the library has to offer, it’s a wonder I don’t spend all my time there during the summer (except Saturdays and Sundays when they’re closed). Much as I’d like to, there are other chores and errands that require my time and attention. But it’s nice to know that when the heat and the noise of summer gets to be too much, there’s a nice cool, quiet respite just a mile from my house.

See you at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment