Tuesday, May 26, 2009

That's What Friends Are For

One night last week I settled in for an evening of fun and fashion. There's just something about a fashion show: the flurry of activity behind the scenes, the nervous models jockeying for position before being called to the runway. The roar of approval as each new ensemble is presented to an appreciative audience.

And while this may sound like an episode of "Project Runway", there was no backstabbing, no cries of "make it work", no Heidi Klum announcing, "You're out." The fashions were presented at The Lantana in Randolph and the models were all members of Friendship Club.

Before last week I knew very little about Friendship Club and Friendship Home. I'm embarrassed to admit this because Wilma Goodhue, a fellow member of the United Church of Christ in Norwell is one of the founders of Friendship Home, which is due to be built on our church's property. While I had heard Friendship Home mentioned in the past, I didn't fully understand what it was all about until I was invited to attend their "Fashion With Our Friends" fundraiser last week.

Reading up on Friendship Home online (gosh I love the internet) I discovered that it was founded in 1999 with a two-fold mission: Friendship Club provides adults with developmental disabilities the opportunity to share food, fun and friendship with each other, meeting twice a month at locations in Norwell, Duxbury and Quincy. Friendship Home will break ground this summer on the UCC Norwell property to provide a respite care and activity center where members can participate in day or evening activities, or stay for periods of up to two weeks, giving them a safe and stimulating environment, and providing needed respite for their caregivers.

I wish everyone reading this could have seen the Friendship Club members strutting their stuff on the runway at The Lantana. Commentator Beth Ann Strenge came out in a sparkly off-the-shoulder red gown and confided that one of the models told her she looked "...better than Charo." (Guess what? She did.) As each model came out dressed to the nines in spring outfits from Milton's, Lillian's Fashions and Dress Barn, Beth Ann would announce the model's name, place of work and their favorite hobbies and activities. I was pleased to recognize several familiar faces as they walked the runway (who knew I was surrounded by fashion models in my everyday life?) There was Michael Goodhue, who attends my church and works part time at Uno's in Hanover. And Matt Kardok, a staff member at the YMCA where I exercise. (An avid drummer, Matt jumped in and jammed with the musicians from the South Shore Conservatory of Music that evening).

While the audience was enthusiastic with its applause, it was clear that the members of Friendship Club drew their support and encouragement from each other. If one was too nervous to walk the runway alone, another would take their hand and walk with them. Men and women, in formal wear or casual, the common denominator was that everyone on stage was clearly enjoying themselves (personally, I would have either frozen like a deer in the headlights or tripped). The evening ended with everyone from Friendship Club taking the stage together and holding up hand printed signs that formed the words "Friendship Home" (all to the tune of Elton John's "That's What Friends Are For"... which caused my mascara to run...just a little...okay a lot.)

Ironically, the few hours I spent at The Lantana last week provided me with a respite from the cares and concerns of my every day life. While this was my first experience with Friendship Home, it will not be my last. If you'd like to join me, check out www.friendshiphome.net. You'll be glad you did

No comments:

Post a Comment