Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Happy Father's Day

About a month ago, I wrote a column about motherhood. With Father’s Day just a few days away, it’s time to give the dads their due.

The saying “Anyone can become a father but it takes someone special to be a Dad” is corny, but dig down beneath the corn and you’ll find a kernel of truth. By nature, a father is someone genetically linked to you. A dad is someone who may or may not share your DNA, but shares your upbringing, your discipline, your triumphs and your setbacks.

My husband has two fathers, but only one is his Dad. His biological father, though physically present for his first nine years of life, was absent in my husband’s upbringing. My husband considers his stepfather, Bob, his dad. Bob helped my husband with his homework. He was there for his high school graduation and when he went off to college. Bob taught my husband about antique cars, Edison players, every type of beer from around the world and that there is nothing that cannot be fixed by some sort of “kluge”.

Some dads show their affection with hugs and kisses and effusive praise. Some show their love in other ways. My dad wasn’t one to show his emotions physically, but in everything he did there was love for us. My father was an elementary school principal for over thirty years. I know that wasn’t his dream job, but he had a family to support, so each day he would drive 45 minutes to a job where he would have to discipline unruly children only to return home to...well…discipline unruly children (my sisters and me).

I remember my father giving us rides on his back in the swimming pool. Each year we took a two-week vacation to the New Jersey Shore, even though my dad spent most of the time in the beach house. He didn’t particularly care for the beach, but he took us there because we loved it. On those afternoons when my dad did come down to the water, we’d beg him to cover our legs with sand, sculpting our lower bodies into racing cars. My dad didn’t love sports but he did love the movies. He would scare the daylights out of my sister and me, taking us to see films like “The Exorcist”, “Carrie”, “Burnt Offerings” and “Demon Seed” (after watching the movie first himself to be sure there was nothing we couldn’t handle). Though we didn’t have a lot of money, if one of us had an opportunity to do something, whether it was a trip to a Broadway show or a ski weekend, my father would find a way to send us. Shortly after receiving my college diploma, I received a letter from my dad, recounting how proud he was to witness that milestone. It was the first time I could recall my father saying the words “I’m proud of you” and I cherish that letter to this day. I’m blessed to have my dad in my life.

My husband is one of the best fathers I know. He spends far too much time commuting to a thoroughly unpleasant job. But he does it so that our children can enjoy summer camp and Tai kwon do and all the other extras that crop up. True, he misses many of the activities that enjoy as a stay at home parent, but he makes up for it when he is home with us. One of the best parts of our day is when my husband sits down to read to our children before bed. Though they are long past the age where they can read easily on their own, there is something soothing about the routine of my husband’s animated voice bringing life to Bilbo Baggins, Harry Potter and The Cahill Kids. On weekends, when many dads are lurking the aisles of Home Depot looking for new toys, my husband stands at the sideline of the soccer fields, shouting encouragement to our boys.

My brother-in-law is a stay at home dad, and I do not envy him the job. As a stay at home mom, I enjoyed the support of other mothers, relationships made through Gymboree, playgroup, pre-school and play dates. It’s different for stay at home dads. Even those who pursue these activities with their kids find that the dynamic is completely different for a man. All you stay at home dads (especially you, Don), have my respect and admiration.

Television is full of stereotypical fathers, from upstanding Ward Cleaver of “Leave it to Beaver” to lovable goof Phil Dunphy on “Modern Family”. Jim Anderson of “Father Knows Best” earned the love and respect of his three kids, Princess, Kitten and Bud. At the other end of the spectrum “Breaking Bad” father, Walter White, upon discovering that he has terminal lung cancer, decides to secure his family’s financial future by resorting to criminal activity. The difference between these TV dads and the real ones is that very rarely are real-life dads able to solve all our problems in the span of thirty minutes. But that’s okay. Because being a father is a lifetime job.

To my husband, my dad and all those other dads out there: Happy Father’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment