Friday, May 21, 2010

Fitness Challenge Survivor




I am a survivor.

Some survivors prefer to not discuss their experience, while others find it a form of catharsis, a way to free the soul. I prefer the latter. If I am able to influence even one person by sharing my story, then I I’ve achieved my goal. So here goes:

I survived a 9-week fitness challenge at The Workout Club in Marshfield.

Scoff if you will, but until you have walked a mile in my athletic shoes, I respectfully ask that you hold your tongue. A little background is required. I’ve struggled with my weight since college. When I married my husband, I bought a wedding dress two sizes too small, then went to Weight Watchers so I could fit into it. The birth of my two children allowed me to eat without guilt (not a good thing), and I’ve been trying to get down to a healthy weight ever since. The advent of middle age has not helped, as each year makes weight loss more difficult. And though I had once been a frequent visitor to the gym, lately my attendance has fallen off. I needed motivation. I needed inspiration. I needed a kick in my ever-widening butt.

A friend had participated in a fitness challenge at The Workout Club in Marshfield and lost 28 pounds. She mentioned that she was going to sign up for the next challenge, and encouraged me to join her. Though my regular gym is the YMCA in Hanover, I thought a change of scenery might be just the thing. In the weeks leading up to the challenge, I indulged in my favorite foods, like a dying man eating his last meal. Indian food? Bring it on. Sour cream and onion chips? Pass them here. Entennman’s chocolate covered donuts? Don’t have to ask me twice. At my first weigh-in, I was dismayed to find that I was up several pounds from my already unhealthy weight.

Our team leaders, Wendy and Caitlin, explained the challenge: We would split into two teams of 15 women each. Over the nine weeks, we would be required to participate in at least 25 workouts. Special classes that qualified for the challenge were highlighted on the club’s schedule (names like “TOTAL INSANITY” and “THE FORCE TIMES 4” gave me a sinking feeling in my too-large gut). In addition to these workouts, we would need to adhere to a strict nutritional plan. The initial two-week “fat flush” eliminated any breads, refined sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta or alcohol. Though I had recently given up alcohol for Lent, several of the ladies groaned when they learned this. I left the club with my challenge notebook, workout schedule and nutrition plan in hand. The challenge was on.

I arrived at the gym the next day for my first challenge workout: Total Insanity. There’s an infomercial for this exercise where hard-bodied men and women do a relentless amount of aerobics nonstop: jumping jacks, lunges, knees, football runs. Total Insanity was all that, except that instead of watching from the comfort of my couch, I was smack in the middle of it all, praying I wouldn’t lose all the egg whites I had eaten for breakfast. You know those drill sergeants the military uses for basic training? I think these Aerobic instructors train those drill sergeants. When the class was finally over, I hauled my exhausted, sweaty body home and collapsed.

Each day, I diligently followed the challenge’s nutritional guidelines, avoiding “bad” carbs like bread and pasta, and choosing good ones, like fruits and vegetables. Each meal and snack was a nearly equal balance of good carbs, protein and fat. Instead of a handful of chips, I would have a few almonds and a piece of fruit. Instead of pizza, my dinners consisted of grilled chicken, steamed broccoli and homemade coleslaw. At night I dreamed of ice cream and donuts, but my days stayed “clean”.

As the challenge progressed, I was amazed at how great I felt. My body had detoxed from all the junk I had consumed before the challenge. Though I was down to just one cup of coffee a day, I no longer needed a nap in the afternoon. Best of all, I had started the challenge with an injury, a shoulder impingement. By the middle of the challenge, all the exercise I was doing, combined with physical therapy, brought my shoulder’s range of motion back to normal.

Every Monday I was back in “Total Insanity” and though I struggled every time, I no longer felt like I was going to lose my breakfast. I added in other cardio and free weight classes at The Workout Club, and supplemented them with my favorite spin classes at the “Y”. Best of all, I was getting to know the other challenge participants. Though we were all vying for the top spot, the camaraderie and support these women offered kept me on track and motivated along with weekly weigh-ins, e-mails and support meetings.

The challenge finally ended on May 2. I lost 22.5 pounds and 9% body fat. My team lost a total of 176 pounds while the other team lost 147.5 pounds. My “before” and “after” photos are incredible. And though I still have many more pounds to lose, I am off to a great start. I am thankful for every hungry, sweaty, sore, exhausted moment I spent in this challenge because it changed my life. I’ve even decided to continue working out down in Marshfield, since no one kicks butt like those women.

Though I think I’ll skip “Total Insanity” from now on. (C’mon, I’m not crazy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment