Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Could This Be The End?

It is with a heavy heart that I write this, my very last column. I want to let all my readers know just how special this job has been to me. My editor and I had a very nice lunch last week, laughing and chatting about some of our favorite columns from the past nineteen months. Nineteen months? Has it really been that long? Time flies when you are doing something you love.

What a difference this column has made in my life. Writing about the funny (and sometimes not-so-funny) things that have happened to my family and me has helped me grow not only as a writer, but as a person. Being a columnist has allowed me to see humor in the little things in life, whether it’s brushing your teeth with antifungal crème, cringing over a smug Christmas letter or trying to boot your houseguests out after an extended visit. It’s also made me more aware of how much my own experiences mirror that of my friends and fellow readers.

If there’s one thing I’ve enjoyed more than anything else, it’s receiving all your feedback via phone or email (and often in person too…who knew I’d be recognized at Stop and Shop?). Your kind words of encouragement have been more precious to me than the small paycheck I receive for all the hours of writing I do each week. If I’ve entertained, informed, or even just made you stop and think for just a moment, then I’ve been successful.

It’s been my pleasure to announce your birthdays, anniversaries and academic accomplishments. I feel as if my town is an extension of my own family. You have included me in the events and achievements which make you most proud, and for that, I am grateful.

Still, all good things must come to an end. It’s time for me to follow other dreams, chase other rainbows, and close this chapter in the book of my life. And so, dear readers, I bid you a fond farewell. I wish you nothing but the best.

Oh, and one more thing…

Happy April Fool’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment