Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It Wouldn't Be Summer Without Mayonnaise

I would like to take a moment to applaud my Mariner colleague, Dana Forsythe, of "Fat-To-Fit" fame. Dana is currently trying to do something that I would never have the courage to attempt: Lose weight in the summertime.

Now summer seems a logical time to try and lose weight. We're outdoors much more, so theoretically we're more active (swimming, walking, biking, etc.). We wear much less clothing than the rest of the year, so we have a vested interest in making those exposed body parts more appealing. And with the abundance of summer fruits, vegetables and grilled meat and fish, healthy eating habits should be a snap.

So why is it so difficult to lose weight during the summer? I have my theories.

First of all, when my children are home from school, it is much harder to get to the gym. Therefore, my exercise routine goes out the window. Its no fun being pulled out of spin class only to be told that your child is vomiting in the hall sink (yes, that happened to me once.) Or worse, that your child has bitten another child in the day care (and that other child just happened to be the instructor's son). Better to wait until school starts again and then hop back into my gym ritual.

Secondly, every weekend seems to bring another party, barbecue or neighborhood get-together. Ample opportunity to sample my friend's hamburgers, hot dogs, shish kebobs, baked beans, etc. Not to mention all those cool, fruity summer beverages that are offered. Who can say no to an ice-cold margarita at the end of the day? I can't.

Then there's vacation. Whether you travel for a week or a weekend, food obstacles wait at every turn when you are away from home, and the mentality of "I'm on vacation" forgives even the most egregious food choices (Deep dried Oreos? Why not?) And as for those healthy summer fruits? Well, they do make the tastiest pies and cobblers, which can only be fully appreciated when topped with a scoop of ice cream. And speaking of ice cream, what summer day would be complete without a trip to JC's, the Dairy Twist or Far-Far's for an after supper treat?

During the summer I allow myself the one food item I deny myself the rest of the year: mayonnaise. All the best summer foods are made with mayonnaise. Potato salad? Mayonnaise. Macaroni salad? Mayonnaise. Egg salad, chicken salad, and cole slaw? Yup, yup and yes ma'am! And for the record why do they call them deviled eggs when they taste so heavenly? A good friend of mine enjoys mayonnaise to the point of being tempted to eat it right out of the jar. Every burger and sandwich she orders must come with an extra side of mayonnaise. This supports another friend's theory that food is just a vehicle for condiments. If mayo be the food of love, slather on!

You can argue that it’s harder to lose weight during the winter when we are tempted by comfort foods like soups, stews and macaroni and cheese. In cold weather we can camouflage our bodies with bulky sweaters and multiple layers. But think about it. If God intended us to lose weight in the summer, then why did he create New Year’s resolutions?


So good luck to you, Dana. I applaud your dedication and willpower. I raise my margarita glass (and my Hellmann's jar) in salute to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment